Sunday, August 12, 2007

Taxi Bling

There are about 70,000 taxis in Mumbai. Taxis are everywhere. But when choosing a taxi here, I always look for one with a lot of "Taxi Bling," as I have fondly dubbed it. A lot of taxi drivers take a lot of pride in their cabs, decorating them with various idols that they worship, but not just ordinary idols, idols that light up in a colorful display. Bling might be in the form of an idol of the elephant god that turns from green, to yellow, to red, to (you get the picture)... or maybe they just have a blue light, or a red light inside of the cab. Or perhaps a string of christmas lights running off the battery. Or a new "pimped" out stereo system to go in their decrepid cab. So it's important to not get into a cab that's boring--no fun vinyl or tacky flashy lights... because as you are sitting in traffic, at least it will give you something entertaining to look at!

All the taxis sound as if they are about a thousand years old and on their very last breath. In fact a taxi ride I took yesterday involved the taxi stalling out at every single light... and I was sure we wouldn't make it up the slight incline of the many causeways... "I think I can. I think I can. I think I can." The taxis are also in poor shape because they are severely banged up (thanks to the bumper to bumper traffic) or the humidity has rusted away the very floor board of the cab... seeing little glimpses of the road below you as you sit inside the taxi is not uncommon!

Taxis here will take you anywhere! Even if they aren't sure where they are going. It's important to know the biggest landmark closest to your destination (a little challenging if you've never been to your destination before), but the extent of my conservation with most cabbies here is "Podar College, Matunga Central"... this will get me close enough to the hostel to be able to shout out a couple of "Right, Here" and "Stop." However, even if they don't know what any of this means, they will gladly invite you into the cab, and will stop multiple times along the way in search of a translator or someone that can tell them how to get me to my destination.

Cabs here are metered, and extremely cheap. They get a little more expensive after midnight though (after MIDnight is the key word)...some taxi drivers see "tourist" and want to charge much more money. Luckily all taxis should be equipped with a fare card that does the fare translation from what the meter reads. The other day I was in a taxi, and upon my arrival at my destination "Bombay Dyeing Mill" was told 150 Rupis. I said "fare card," looked at it, and said "No. 100" ... Hey buddy, I'm no tourist. I live here.

No comments: