Thursday, August 23, 2007

Do you know the Tiffin man?

Well not too much has happened since Monday... well, more stomach problems, but no one really wants to hear about that. On Tuesday I had class all day, and then Hindi in the evening. The day was pretty uneventful. Tuesday night I worked on a marketing class assignment (a class which has proven least useful... not because marketing is irrelevant, but because the professor is continually ill prepared for class and gives us operations or logistics case studies that we have to spend 3 hours writing down since he won't type up any assignment), and had a pretty home sick day, as usual.

Yesterday we once again had class all day. In between classes I went to pick up my shirts. I'm not sure how great my first tailoring experience was. They were copying a button down shirt I had... but I'm pretty sure they didn't exactly copy the measurements, because these new shirts are large and boxy. But for the price, and for the fact that I do not care what I look like these days (it's really low on my priority list, I'm not trying to win anyone over with my good looks or charm these days), I will still wear them. They are really pretty colors, just not very flattering. Although most clothes just hang off me these days.

After class, we headed over to Phoenix Mills to do some shopping and eat. I tried out the Spaghetti Kitchen again and had a repeat of the last experience. Excellent food... horrible side effects. I think that my body is not used to eating, nor is it used to any kind of rich food. I was so excited to have Canneloni Floretine... how refreshing to see a "safe" leafy green. Afterwards? Not so good. Not good at all. Oh well, it was nice to feel full, if only for a moment. Thanks to stomach problems, I didn't sleep well last night... and I had to wake up early to study for a Finance test. I did get my first Tiffin delivery (a type of meal that comes in a metal cannister and is often delivered to residences or offices... see my photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/lbarteld for details)

Today we had our first "quiz" here in India. I'm not sure how it went, it was a little different than we all were expecting. But I have a degree in Finance... so I figured if I don't do really well, maybe I need me degree re-evaluated. I'm sure I did fine. After Finance, we had another pointless marketing class that frustrated the bejesus out of everyone. Oh wait, in between classes I had an adventure. My digital camera went kaput on me (Alex managed to fix it this summer... but he wasn't around to fix it now). So I went off to the Sony store to purchase a new digital camera. Mine was 3 years old... I seem to be pretty hard on technology. I'm pretty sure it's a conspiracy though, because I feel as a society we have accepted the fact that most technology only lasts for 2 or 3 years. Partly so we can keep up with trends (my digital camera was starting to look like the equivalent of an 80's cell phone)... but also because we just don't expect high quality I guess. So alas. I have a new camera. It took FOREVER. The old man typing on the computer had to hunt and peck for every letter, and what should have been a 10 minute transaction, took an hour. Luckily all the professors here work on Indian time, so I was not late for class.

After marketing, I had Hindi again. Our Hindi teacher is convinced the 6 of us will be conversational within a month. It's still quite overwhelming, and my brain is starting to feel a little bit fried. But slowly I am catching on, and look forward to being able to practice with the few of us taking the class, before trying too much in public.

I came home from Hindi to find a box from home! How exciting!!! With a rush of delight, I carried the box up to my room like a kid on Christmas morning. The box was filled with tasty goodies, and goodies that will provide me with the protein that I have been lacking for exactly 3 weeks today. It was so nice, and it was such an overwhelming feeling to know that I wouldn't feel hungry now. I'll have to ration the food out so it will last until Mom personally delivers some food in October :-) The box, however, did make me very homesick! How insane that something as simple as gingersnaps and cans of baked beans could bring me to tears!

I am going to enjoy my evening of prime time television and maybe an episode or two of Will & Grace. No class tomorrow morning, so I am free until 12:30 when I have an accounting test (won't be studying for that... accounting and I are great buddies). Then I am off to enjoy a weekend filled with group work and pseudo-studying. I did learn today that after September my class schedule will easy up to only 12 or so hours a week... how nice that will be!

No comments: