Sunday, August 12, 2007

My Fan Club

Being called out to on the street here is not uncommon! Being one of the only westerners in town (myself and the 3 other girls from the Temple program complete the demographic), the Indians are anxious to sell to us or exchange a kind word "Welcome to the India!" "What's up?" "Yes, Ma'am" "You buy?" "Please Yes, Thank You" and yesterday I got a new one "Yes, Darling." It's as if they have been saving up their single english word (usually "Hello") all their lives for someone to shout it out to! It's actually more like they think they can take advantage of a tourist by charging extra high prices and therefore are begging to do business with you.

Most Indians in this village have not seen a fair skinned person before, and therefore stare unabashedly. So the shoutouts, coupled with the stares and pack of children who follow me down the street... I'm starting to feel a bit like a community celebrity being hounded by the paparazi (minus the cameras of course).

When I return to the States I may feel as if I've lost all my popularity or am having a really bad hair day if I don't get called out at everywhere I go :-) I'll be demoted to a C-list celebrity at best!

2 comments:

Brett said...

I just noticed that you wrote this blog on August 12 at 8:58 pm. But currently it is 1:28 pm. Soooo, I thought it would be funny to post a comment before you even write the blog!

Make sure you start carrying a sharpie around with you in case any of the locals ask for an autograph!

Anonymous said...

I think carrying a sharpie is a good idea. Maybe you should print up some headshots and presign them so you can just hand them out as souvenirs when you pass by your fans