Monday, July 7, 2008

Toyko Adventures!

Sunday morning I managed to get myself out of bed at about 10... I was tired! And I went back out with Paul in search of cheaper groceries and the 100 Yen shop (essentially a dollar a store) for some necessities to stock the hostel room with. We toured more of the neighborhood (which I am really enjoying) and then made it back to the hostel in time to do some laundry. I was so happy to do laundry because it was so hot and sweaty in Shanghai, that I felt like my clothes were gross sitting in my suitcase.

There was a sign in the Laundry Room warning against stolen laundry, so to be on the safe side we sat in the lobby while our laundry was being done and watched No Reservations. The laundry was complete with no problem and I felt good about having clean clothes. At around lunch time, Stella arrived so we were able to get caught up on our various adventures since class let out in Philly back in mid-June. I then laid around for a bit reading, and had some dinner.

After dinner, we went out in search for an American grocery store because someone (not me) was having Pop-Tart withdrawl. We didn't find the grocery store but we had an amazing time walking the streets of Tokyo at night. I am really enjoying all the city has to offer. And it's nice to walk everywhere (public transport is pretty expensive, taxis are pretty much unaffordable). On our adventures we managed to find a Cold Stone Creamery and I spent quite a bit of Yen to fill my craving. We walked around for about two hours before returning to the hostel exhausted!

I read a little before bed and fell soundly asleep until about 7 this morning, and then I napped until about 10 when I finally got out of bed.

This morning we met in the lobby at Noon with some representatives from Temple University Japan to go out on a guided tour of Tokyo. Our first stop was Meiji Shrine, which was really beautiful. Next up we went to the Tokyo Tower (essentially the Eiffel Tower... the landmark Tokyo is known for). The observation deck is 150 m above ground, but unfortunately it was an overcast day so we were unable to see Mt.Fuji. I had a crepe at the Tokyo Tower for a snack and it was very delicious!

After that, we piled back on to the bus (this was a really nice tour bus... I should've taken a picture) and headed to Asakusa, which is another shrine with a huge shopping street of local crafts, etc. That was really neat to walk through. We then drove through Akihabara, the electronics district, did a quick swing by the outside of the Imperial Palace, and then we were dropped back off at the hostel.

It was a long day and I had a headache, so I stayed in and watched What Happens In Vegas (thanks to watch-movies.net) and in a little bit I'll join buddies for dinner in. I think I may make an omelet!

Tomorrow we actually get to walk over to TU Japan for orientation there.

No comments: