Friday, July 4, 2008

Dear America: Happy Birthday, Love: Shanghai

Happy 4th of July!! For those of you who know and love me... I love fireworks and I am sorely disapointed I am going to miss fireworks (especially since this year, thanks to Steve, I would have had VIP access to the NE Fireworks!! Next year babe).

But, fireworks or not, I had Friday to explore Shanghai (or really, the knock off market again).

I met Paul at breakfast at 9, I did my usual stock up of food (since it was free) and we headed off in search of an ATM. I also was in dire need of ponytail holders, because it was the one thing I forgot and it was driving me insane not being able to put my hair up in the heat... in fact if I couldn't find them, my next option was giving myself a very unattractive haircut. As I mentioned to Paul I wanted to find some on our mission today, out from a sidestreet is this guy carrying this cart with a bunch of random things on it, like toilettries and fans. I stopped him and asked through gestures if he had a ponytail holder... lo and behold he did!!! What luck... maybe I should have said I was looking for a million yuan.

So now, with my hair off my neck I was ready to continue on. We kept searching for a bank that would accept our ATM, stopping in every grocery store on the way in search of Frosted Flakes (conclusion, China does not have Frosted Flakes, sorry Mom). When we finally found an ATM we realized we had walked to within a block of the knock off market, so no need for a taxi! We went back into the market, experts at negotiating this time and managed to rack up quite a few more purchases. Paul got two more watches, some CK underwear, cufflinks, sunglasses, lots of tea... and I think that might be it. I also got a watch, three purses (oops), a really neat dolphin bracelet (does that surprise anyone), and some earrings and other little knick-knacks. It was highly successful!!

We were exhausted and carrying quite a load so we decided to head back to the hotel to drop off our things. We went to lunch at the neighboring restaurant to the hotel, where I was adventurous and ordered some brocoli, we got some fried rice for the table, and Paul got some strange greenbean and meat dish, when he asked if it was chicken or beef, the lady said "No, just meat." Hmm... We clearly were there at the wrong time though because they turned all the lights off except the one by our table and our waitress was sewing. We ate and as soon as we handed over the money for the bill, the light above our table was also turned off. Well don't say you are open 11.00-23.00 unless you want customers during all possible hours!

After lunch we decided to go for Chinese massages! There was a place in the neighborhood of the hotel (which is in the French Concession neighborhood... I'm not sure I mentioned that before). We opted for an hour-long Chinese massage and a half-hour head and shoulder massage. Well they must have thought we were a couple (our boyfriends would have been jealous) because they put us in the same room. Luckily the Chinese massage was over-clothes so it was all good. But boy... they sure aren't gentle! They lady was pounding on me, but I guess in the end it felt good to have some knots worked out.

The massages were relaxing, and then back to the hotel for a quick rest (I watched "Just Like Heaven" on HBO) before our farewell dinner at the Shanghai Yacht Club.

The dinner was good... but the view AMAZING!!! I will put up pictures when I have a faster internet connection.

No comments: