Thursday, July 17, 2008

Third Eye Blind Rocks Tokyo! (Thanks to Samantha Shervin!!!)

So tonight I made it to my first Third Eye Blind concert... in Tokyo of all places!

I was flipping through Metropolis, the only English Japanese magazine and noticed and ad for a Third Eye Blind concert. Seeing as my friend Sam was a big fan, I told her they were coming. She immediately offered to try and get me tickets (she's tight with the band ;-)) and I said, sure! Sam worked her magic... and Paul and I headed off to the Unit Theater. We weren't sure we would have tickets though, or how we would manage explaining the situation to a non-English speaking ticket window.

It took about 30 minutes to get there and we headed to the ticket counter. The guy didn't understand anything we were saying... but somehow felt moved to give us two backstage passes/tickets. Amazing!! So then we went to grab a quick bite to ea.

We left the restaurant and noticed the huge, long line, but walked right to the front and met up with (what we found out later) the band's lawyer, and just sort of followed him in. We got into the performance space first and took up camp in the very front.

So now I know what it's like to be in the front of a Japanese mosh pit! What fun though! The band played for about 1.5 hrs or so? They were great and it was fun to hear some songs that I loved back in middle school (like "How's It Gonna Be," "Semi-Charmed Life," "Deep Inside of You," and "Jumper"). We were crushed the entire time but it was still fun, as we were about 4-5 feet away from the band and got to shake all their hands.

Better yet. After the show, they cleared the arena out until there was Paul, myself, and about 5 anxious Japanese girls. We got to meet the entire band, get autographs and pictures. We also made small talk about Tokyo in general. It was really cool, we felt very VIP. You weren't supposed to take pictures, but Paul had a camera phone and they didn't tell us you couldn't take pictures until more than half-way through the show, so we got some cool (albeit very fuzzy) shots.

Thanks Sam!!

No comments: