Thursday, October 11, 2007

Going back in time...

I am seething mad.

Apparently the second half of my time in India, is going to begin like the first half of my journey--with a lot of water.

The washing machine at the hostel has been off limits for over a week. This was due to the water shortage we were experiencing from "too many girls living in the hostel." Well some of my buds tried to wash their clothes and had success, so I thought I would try it today. There was a week-old note that said there wasn't water for the washer, but we had been told the water ban had been lifted. So, since someone else had used the machine and it had gone well, I tried my luck.

No, the machine is BROKEN. When did I find this out? After my clothes had been loaded, powdered soap added, and water filled up to 6 inches.... but ONLY 6 inches... the water kept running, but simultaneously kept draining. So, I had to ring out my clothes, load them up in a bucket, carry them up a flight of stairs (that may be my workout for the day) and sit in the shower room and rinse out my clothes.

Needless to say they are DRIPPING WET and still quite soapy. So I have them on a drying rack in my room, praying they dry in time for me to pack them up for the Marriott tomorrow. But I feel like I live in the dark ages, trying to wash a full load of laundry by hand because they can't seem fit to give us a washer than works or tell us that it is, indeed broken. Apparently some of the other girls complained (I was told this as I was carrying my sopping clothes up the stairs) but no one has listened, so they want us, "the Americans" to complain so it will actually get fixed.

So my clothes are already abused in Indian... but now they are drenched, soapy, and probably have the capability to flood my hostel room.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH.

If anyone wants to know what to get me for Christmas/Birthday when I return home... apparently clothes, seeing as I'll have none after they'll all been destroyed by India!

No comments: