Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Rajasthan- The Short List

1. There is NO place in India that is clean, smells good, is free of trash, or has good quality air.

2. Every person in India is obliged to try and take advantage of you. It is a blessing in Mumbai to have metered rickshaws and taxis.

3. I have had my picture taken more in the last 10 days then probably in my entire life. What do they do with these pictures you ask? I have NO idea and probably don't want to know. I try to remain uninteresting, but there are still intrigued. (Hint, if you want to take a picture on the slight, turn off the fake shutter noise.)

4. Visiting Rajasthan is much like a safari I saw camels, elephants, horses, cows (more cows than people probably), dogs, chickens, cats, crows, snakes, chipmunks, monkeys, vulchers, donkeys, antelope, a variety of birds, wart hogs, pigs, goats, sheep, water buffalo, ants, and DON'T forget my favorite: cockroaches.

5. Everyone will ask you where you are form, and you can't be playful and say "Guess" or they will say "Oh, Guess." No, Guess is not a country. We might be among the first American tourists to make it all the way to Rajasthan... which might explain all the picture taking.

6. I have seen more people go to the bathroom in public in the last few days, then I ever care to see in my entire life. We started keeping count... but lost track.

7. I didn't think it was possible for my living of standard to get lower, but I guess never say never! I have now found some of the worst bathrooms and hostels in India. I was covered in a layer of dirt all week, as will be evident from the pictures, and was ironically relieved to be back at my horrible shower at the hostel (showering with the use of buckets in a bathroom that reeks of urine, will make even the most makeshift showers seem desirable).

8. I still do not enjoy sleeping with bugs.

No comments: