Sunday, November 18, 2007

"Absolutely No Spitting Here"

The abundance of "No Spitting Here" signs never stops amazing me here. You see these signs posted at sinks during our corporate visits, on train platforms, or my favorite, in the toll booth lanes! Although I can understand the abundance of these signs... the Indians take spitting to a whole new level. This is probably because they are often chewing on tobacco or some sort of "drug" which requires them to spit... many a times I have had to duck and cover to prevent being in the line of fire of one of these impressive shows of spitting prowess.

Friday I went on two company visits which made for a very long day. We started off at Siemens, had some presentations on marketing and operations, a nice catered lunch, and then toured two of their factories. The factory tours were pretty interesting, although I couldn't understand what our hosts were telling us, so I'm sure much of the intrigue was lost on me.

We then hit Raymonds Clothing... and saw a suit factory. Unfortunately, no women's clothes are made by Raymonds as of yet, so no chance to nab a few samples. We walked through the suit factory literally step by step.... this piece of fabric is attached.. then this is done... then this little thing is done... so it became very drawn out and tiring.

Finally made it back to Matunga in time to hit the gym and be home for my daily online time with Mom.

Saturday we had class... for forever! 8 hours of class (with an hour break for lunch) is far too long. Especially because Indian professors haven't mastered the art of integrating different activities into class to break up the monotony... so we just sit there and are "talked at" for the entire lecture time. Boring!! Not to mention the uncomfortable chairs.

I hit the gym after class, and came back to treat myself to this week's episode of Gossip Girl and Grey's Anatomy and made a dinner of a packaged chicken breast, green beans, stuffing, and cheesy mashed potatoes... thanks to my Mom-supplied pantry. My variety of food is getting a little low... but I'm about at the month-way mark, so I can make it!!!

I leave for New Delhi/Agra on Tuesday evening and return the following Monday at midnight. Then we're almost down to 3 weeks!!

No comments: