Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Placements

I was talking to one of the girls in the hostel about her experience here at Welingkar. Apparently, she thinks about the same of the conditions that we do... but she had some interesting insight (she visits me frequently, as I am her Blockbuster).

In India, "placements" (job offers) are guarenteed as part of graduate programs. Therefore, if I were a regular Indian student at Welingkar, I would have a guarenteed job after I completed the program. I thought this was pretty neat... until she told me more about the process. You can apply for a select few companies, there are about 3 or 4 days in December when there are on-campus interviews, so you have to sign up for when those companies come. But if you interview with a company on Day 1, that isn't your first choice, and they make you an offer, you MUST accept it... even if you top choice company isn't even coming to campus until Day 4.

Hmm.. I'm not so envious anymore of guarenteed job placement. I hope to have a job in August (and am confident I will find one I like, or at least more than tolerate)... any offers ?

No comments: