Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Like a Breath of Fresh Air!

Well I have finally escaped Mumbai... if only for a few moments. I have arrived safely and in comfort in Goa, India, just south of the State of Maharashta (where Mumbai is located) on a popular resort destination alongside the Arabian Sea.

I got to the airport at about 2:15 am this morning (I did not go to sleep last night) exhausted. Traffic was surprisingly non-existent on the highway to the domestic airport, so the taxi ride was, dare I say, pleasant! We were able to go normal speed without hearing the nuisance of honking every other millisecond. We made record time. The domestic airport was also surprisingly modern and well equipped. We got our tickets but discovered "check in" didn't begin until 3 am (to see an airport "closed" was a foreign concept to me, but then again I don't make a practice of being in airports at that hour of the night/morning). Luckily there was a small Cafe Coffee Day kiosk open so I was able to get a Snapple (advertised as an "Exotic Drink") and a delicious muffin. We settled on the floor (not enough seating for everyone) and started up a game of Scrabble. Our scrabble attracted a lot of attention from passersby.. you would think we were doing something much more fascinating or risque, but I guess you get used to the attention.

The check-in process was interesting, you have your checked luggage scanned and sealed before you even check-in. I wonder if this is because the baggage handlers can't be trusted, so they want you to see your luggage has been scanned and locked (I wouldn't trust them either). We checked in and got our boarding pass. I was pretty relieved to see my bag on the other end, because it was marked with a number with chalk... doesn't seem very reliable to me. The Mumbai Domestic Airport could really use some modern technology. After we checked in (at this point only Rachel, Carey, and I are there... the boys are nowhere to be seen), we attempted to go through Security only to discover it wasn't "open" until 4 am. (Sure does make it hard to check in for your flight early!). So we camped out right outside of the Security line and continued our game of Scrabble. Some of the boys joined us at this point (the punctual, responsible ones haha) and we all sat around chatting until Security opened up. Of course the girls went in their own Ladies line... and now I know why, the lady handling Ladies Security got to second base with me... umm.. awkward. Ironically after we checked in, our boarding pass was checked multiple times, but never our photo ID... seems like a potential breach of security if you ask me. Once we got through security, our flight was boarding so we went ahead and got on, hoping the others would make the flight. We were checked in by a number literally "checked off" on a pad of paper (I repeat... technology anyone?) and then shuffled on to a bus that would take us to the plane... in the pouring rain... I mean pouring rain. We got on board, to a "no frills" airplane unlike any I've seen. They were "non-reclining seats," although ironically leather (or something pretending to be). Also there were advertisements on the head rest cover for a "SimpliBid" program they have on board where you can place bids for various items, and then someone wins them by the end of the flight. Also strange. The flight was uneventful and very short... just an hour. My only cause for concern was after we landed, in the middle of nowhere and I didn't see an airport. We "drove" back to the airport and arrived to the single-gate building where I felt like we pulled up so close that the pilot was trying to show off his parallel parking skills.

We deplaned and went to collect our luggage. The chalk mark must've worked, because my bag arrived (for the record, I would've been in just carry-on, had India had the same size/weight policies as US...)! I walked outside, and was greeted by a sign with my name on it and "Goa Marriott Beach Resort." That's me! I was whisked away into a luxury sedan for a very pleasant ride (approximately 40 minutes) to the hotel. My driver was very kind and explained some of the sights, and you don't know how nice it was just to ride in a car that has unripped seats (with no springs poking into you), air-conditioning, and seat belts! I really felt relaxed as soon as I hit the backseat, although was still quite exhausted for not having slept for 24 hours. Goa is beautiful. It was quite misty this morning, so I couldn't take it all in, but it's just how I imagine a quaint Indian village (mining is the main source of income here) complete with palm trees and of course... cows. I would've missed them.

I arrived to the hotel and was accommodated for early check-in (thank goodness, I don't think the Marriott would have appreciate me napping in the lobby) and was given an ocean-view room, with a king sized bed and a bath tub (so I can take advantage of the oatmeal bath my Mom sent to help soothe my poor irritated skin). The room was lovely!! The first thing I did was take my shoes off (take a picture of the bed) and jumped onto the plush bed! Ahhhhh. Sighs of relief. The room is spacious and the view is really comforting because I am at the mouth of one of the rivers that empties into the Arabian Sea and it is a popular shipping channel so really brings me right back to the pier at Ebb Tide watching the tugs travel down the Elk River.

To settle in I ordered room service "American Breakfast" and was treated to a ham omelet, croissants, fresh squeezed pineapple juice, and tea. Yum! After eating this morning (can I repeat? yum!), I crawled into bed and took a very nice long nap (that will probably keep me up tonight). Upon deciding it was high time to wake up, I got up and went off to explore the hotel. There is a cake shop (which I may hit later), a lovely shopping arcade (although I don't think any postcards, which is disappointing), and of course the pool area with the swim up bar and jacuzzi. I also found the fitness center which I am very much looking forward to visiting later. It was empty, which I love, but also well equipped... including my very much missed pilates ball. They also had a scale so I was finally able to weigh myself and confirm that 15 pounds I imagined I had lost over the last two months... so I think I will hit that cake shop ;-) There's also a lovely locker room that contains a really luxurious whirlpool.

I plan on settling next to the pool later and starting one of the many books I brought with me to enjoy and of course, I have to scurry off now for my "Back Relief" massage appointment (I love India prices!). So rest assured, I have finally found relief from the chaos and stress of Mumbai (too bad it's not a place in Mumbai). I plan on thoroughly enjoying my few days here and collecting as much as I can. For now, the spa awaits me :-)

No comments: